Monday, June 7, 2010

Exploring Zürich

Feeling a little better, I woke up early and the first thing I did was pull out a map and try to get my bearings. Zürich center is divided into two parts by the Limnat river which ends in lake Zürich. My dorm is located in west side of the river, right downtown. The city is quite pretty, and it sort of looks like straight out of a fairy tale. With tiny winding roads that crisscross haphazardly, with lots of old buildings and churches. At every turn you find tiny restaurants and little stores.

The first place I went to was to the Google offices, I wanted to make sure that I didn't get lost tomorrow. It is actually quite easy, just a tram ride away. The trams are these sort of San Francisco style trolleys, but with 5 enclosed train cars. And speaking about the trams, you know you are not in Chicago or Costa Rica, because there is nowhere (and no one) to scan your tickets. People here must be really honest and buy their pubic transportation tickets just because they now they should... crazy!

The map I got at the airport had a suggested walking tour, so I gave it a try. I walked along the Bannhofstrasse (the equivalent of the Magnificent mile), the old down town, visited St Peter and Fraumunster churches, and walked along the river and the lake. I stumbled on a street fair, where I had a very good bratwurst with crusty bread and a curry sauce. Very pretty city indeed.







No comments:

Post a Comment